Acupuncture can be used to treat a wide range of common health problems and to reduce pain. At Empire physiotherapy we combine acupuncture with other physiotherapy treatments such as exercise and manual therapy.
- Acupuncture involves the insertion of very fine stainless steel needles in the skin.
- It works by stimulating the body to produce its own pain and stress-relieving chemicals, (endorphins and exytocin).
- It may also promote sleep and encourage a sense of well being by stimulating melatonin and release of serotonin.
- Acupuncture also stimulates nerve fibres to block out pain signals and help to reduce the sensitivity of tender points in the body.
- A typical acupuncture session will last between 15-30minutes