Acupuncture can be used to treat a wide range of common health problems and to reduce pain. At Empire Physiotherapy we combine acupuncture with other physiotherapy treatments such as exercise and manual therapy.
- Acupuncture involves the insertion of very fine stainless steel needles in the skin.
- It works by stimulating the body to produce its own pain and stress-relieving chemicals, (endorphins and exytocin).
- It may also promote sleep and encourage a sense of well being by stimulating melatonin and release of serotonin.
- Acupuncture also stimulates nerve fibres to block out pain signals and help to reduce the sensitivity of tender points in the body.
- A typical acupuncture session last between 15-30minutes
Please note that we only use evidence based acupuncture as part of our follow-up physiotherapy treatments. We are regulated by Acupuncture Association of Chartered Physiotherapy (AACP) and more information regarding physiotherapy and acupuncture can be found on www.aacp.org.uk. For more complex acupuncture needs you will be referred to Dr (TCM) Attilio D’Alberto at Wokingham Therapy Clinic.